Local History / Genealogy
Online Photo Archive now available!
Click on the link above to view the Banning Library District Local History photograph collection at the Online Archive of California. If you would like to search the images, click the "online items" button and enter a search term.
Local History Materials Policy
Banning Library District
Local History Materials Policy
- Materials must be researched in the Community Room only. If the Community Room is occupied researcher must make an appointment to use the room at another day or time.
- Backpacks and handbags are not allowed in Community Room and will be kept at the Circulation Desk while researcher is looking at materials.
- A photo Id or Banning Public Library card is required by the researcher to be held at the Circulation Desk with the form to be filled out.
- Only one folder or item ( ie High School Annuals) at a time can be brought out to the researcher.
- Researcher can use pencils only while researching, no pens.
- All backroom materials are the property of the Banning Library District. Photocopies of materials can be made but digital photography must require the permission of the Library Director. Click or tap the link for the form “Intent of Use” will be required to be filled out and signed by researcher.
Local History Column in the Record Gazette
Look for Local History Librarian Bill Bell's column on local history topics in the Banning Record Gazette!
Here are copies!!
Local History Record Gazette Articles
Airports in the San Gorgonio Pass
Famous Celebrities of the San Gorgonio Pass
Historic Barrios of Banning
Lockheed Propulsion Plant
Movie Theaters of the S.G. Pass
Photographers of the San Gorgonio Pass
Post Offices of the San Gorgonio Pass
Snow Creek Camp
The Banning Bench
Urban Legends of the San Gorgonio Pass
The Hmong History
Black Pioneers, pt.1
Black Pioneers, pt.2
Did you know that the Banning Library District has a wealth of local history books, photographs, and other materials about Banning, the Pass Area, California, and the West? We are in the process now of organizing and cataloging this important collection of historical materials.
The Banning Library District applied for and was selected to be a participant in the California Local History Digital Resources Project. This Project is a multi-year (2000-present) statewide program which provides a way for libraries to create, display and maintain a digital photograph collection. We will be scanning photographs for permanent display on the California State Digital Archives website, which will be accessible to anyone with computer access.
Please re-visit this section regularly for more information on our collection and our progress.
The records project state genealogy resource information.
Familysearch.org has free family history, family tree, and genealogy
records and resources from around the world.
Roots web indexed databases for research on genealogy, birth records, marriage certificates, and so much more.
Roots web access to Social Security Death Index
Roots web access to California Death Records.
The National Archives offers insight into the lives of people, their families and our history.
Obituaries help is an informative and respected website designed to offer resources for obituaries, funerals and genealogy search.
Cindi's list of genealogy websites on the internet.
RecordPedia the most comprehensive public records resource on the web.